Using your staff in your video marketing is generally a really great idea. Some of the benefits include:
- Saving on costs.
- It’s often a fun change for your staff to be a part of your video marketing.
- Your staff can speak about your company or nonprofit’s mission from the heart.
Staff involvement can add depth to your video marketing
Here’s a highly effective video, with over 3 million YouTube views, that uses staff as well as the company’s “giving partners”:
The staff member, the boy who benefits from TOM’s programs, and even the customer(!) are all key pieces in the video that convey a company culture that extends beyond their walls in a cyclic way that builds connections through shoes. As one of the many commenters writes: “Who doesn’t love a company that gives back in meaningful ways? Check out this vid from TOMS #OneforOne campaign.”
For many types of videos, you can make a resonant video with just staff people. The Thank You videos we referenced in last week’s post are a great example, as is another TOM’s video in which a TOM’s staff member answers the question: “Who is Tom?” This question could have been answered by the company CEO, but works really well when answered by a young staff member.
Video marketing tips for highlighting your staff
- Show people at different levels of the organization. Your audience may know your leader, but they sometimes identify even more with other staff people. Also, it’s kind of a given that the leader of your organization is committed to the cause. The dedication of people across the organization, as well as your leader, really speaks to the dynamism of the organization as a whole.
- Show people working. Action shots connect the staff you are showing with what your organization does.
- Let what’s special about each person shine through by letting them keep their natural look and use their own words as much as you can. Their comfort and naturalness will enable them to forge connections with video viewers, who are your potential customers, partners, supporters and even employees.
- Encourage your spokespeople to show emotion. Emotion helps viewers connect with you. Show humor, enthusiasm, and passion. If your spokespeople are having fun, your viewers will, too.
There’s really nothing more fun than video–making it, and watching it. There’s a reason YouTube is one of the most popular sites on the web, and that so many people upload videos of their own. You can even involve your whole organization in auditioning for the part of spokesperson, selecting the best spokespeople, and working as a team in supporting your spokespeople in being a key part of your video marketing.
Whether you use DIY video or more professionally produced videos such as MiniMatters can help you create, featuring your staff in effective ways will create videos that are memorable, fun, and welcoming to new business.
If MiniMatters can help you with business video, fundraising video, association video, or other video production needs, we’d love to provide an estimate through our online form, talk with you at 301-339-0339, or communicate via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We serve associations, foundations, nonprofits, and businesses primarily in Washington, DC, Maryland, and northern Virginia.